Sunday, June 28, 2015

A little bit of sweetness...

Phew. What a week it was been! My News feed is one historic high or brand new low after another... I have, as my minister put it, spiritual whiplash.

And still the days continue. The laundry is done and meals prepared, books read and errands run. The kids swing and twist and climb in the backyard, daring each other to greater feats of dizziness or height. Andrew and I sit in our plastic lawn chairs and watch them, and when we catch each other's eye we know we are both thinking: we are so blessed.

I've had several friends and family members and acquaintances call or write or come up to me to express their sadness, anger or outrage over Daniel being called n---- last week. I'm so grateful to know that there is so much love surrounding our family. Several folks expressed sympathy for the fear I have for my black sons future here in America.

The truth is, I'm grateful for these new feelings. My eyes have been opened. My heart has been broken, and I'm a much better person for it. The biggest obstacle we face as a nation isn't overt KKK style racism (although those guys are certainly acting out in horrible, violent ways. Burning down churches! What could drive someone to do that!?)... The largest obstacle is ignorance. We don't see each others suffering. We think these problems are happening Over There, on the other side of town. I think I used to, before I had, pardon the pun, "some skin in this game."

Well, maybe these latest parade of racially violent crimes will finally get our collective attention. It does seem like we are talking a whole lot more about racism and racial history than we had before. Unfortunately lots of that talk is ignorance and fear pretending to be righteousness and wisdom. 

But I didn't starting writing to bring us all down, again, I came to offer a little sweetness. Which I think we could all use. The bitterest lessons of our history must be tempered by some grace.

Or Peach Cobbler

My new favorite summer treat

Melt 1/2 stick of butter in a cake pan. (You can use more butter, if you like)
Slice up 1lb of peaches (or however many you have), and toss them with some cinnamon and a 1/4 cup brown sugar and a splash of lemon juice if you have it.
Mix 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon baking powder in a bowl. Pour over the butter in the cake pan. Do not mix.
Gently pour the peaches over the cake batter. Don't mix. 
Bake in 375 oven for 30-45 minutes, or until the cake has risen to the top and turned golden.
Enjoy warm with ice cream! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here. Don't worry about logging in... you can just use your name, and leave the "URL" box blank. Thank you! -Becky