Saturday, January 18, 2014

Life in the Dreamhouse

Nope, our kitchen is not finished. Just in case you were wondering..

I think I'm getting a taste of what it is like for pregnant women as they near the end of their term and get lots of questions and comments like; "You look ready to pop!"

Yes, construction is almost finished. No, I don't want to talk about it. (I have a friend who did not answer her phone for the last 2 weeks of pregnancy.)

I don't want to talk about it, and I doubt you want to listen to me, anyway. Because there would probably be lots of curses, and you'd probably walk away thinking, "wow, she used to be just a nice person."  Ask me about our ongoing, seemingly endless home re-construction and you will be talking to a bitter, frustrated woman who has lost perspective and empathy. Our contractor had a death in the family and I could barely muster the "I'm so sorry to hear that".  Yup.  Couldn't muster it, because inside I was screaming YOU SAID THIS WOULD ALL BE DONE BY CHRISTMAS AND IT'S $%&*ING JANUARY!!!

Lots of curses. Sigh.

So, I'm choosing the practice the art of Zen. Zen Denial. When I'm not at home, I just pretend that our  house is all finished and beautiful and artfully decorated. When I'm home, I pretend that it's just one or two more days and then the house will be all finished and beautiful and artfully decorated. If I just squint, it's almost true.

I'm also learning to ignore the carpet of toys in our living room. Specifically, Barbies.  Oh, my goodness, we are in the BARBIE phase.  Lily has somehow acquired a dozen dolls and their shoes, clothing, cars and accessories. They are all she plays with. Morning: Barbie. Noon: Barbie. Night: Barbie. In the car, in the bath, in her bed: Barbie. The sight of all these dolls without their tiny pink clothes on all over the house has led to a "Barbie must be dressed when not in the bath" rule.  And ohmygoodness the Gender and Racial Stereotypes that are doing bandied about during her Barbie play. Wow. She sure picked up those tropes quickly. "Ken to the rescue!"  "I like the blond Barbie the best."  "I don't like brown Ken." "Want to go shopping Barbie?"

UGH! ACK! What is happening here!? We try, we do. We sit down to play with her and say things like, "Well, how was work today Barbie?" "Did you finish cooking dinner Ken?" Her dad bought her a new, super cool "brown" Ken. She's not really buying it. We are going to have to step up our game.

Living in the Dreamhouse. Oh yeah.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here. Don't worry about logging in... you can just use your name, and leave the "URL" box blank. Thank you! -Becky